Counselling?

Discussion in 'School Related' started by Ninteen, 25 Jul 2016.

1. Ninteen

Ninteen Retired Selfie King Elite Forum Regular

Ratings:
    +587 / 0 / -0
    MC Player:
    Ninteen
    Recently, i find myself dealing with stresses in school days by the subjects but it seems to get worst day by day. I was advised/suggested by my teachers/friends to go for counselling to have a nice talk with the people in-charge. Should i go for counselling in school?
    And i don't know if you guys encountered Counselling experience before in school or somewhere else to talk to someone with your problems. Mind sharing the experience with me? I hope i can get benefited by all your valuable feedbacks!

2. juggernauts

juggernauts マゾー先輩 Donor Forum Regular

Ratings:
    +2,187 / 3 / -4
    MC Player:
    Gigayott
    Well, my sister screams vulgarities at me everyday if that counts

• Funny Funny x 2
  3. naanthebread

naanthebread ??? Staff Member Admin Moderator

Ratings:
    +438 / 1 / -1
    MC Player:
    naanthebread
    I don't think I've ever gone for counselling but if you're receiving a lot of stress in school and it's getting hard for you to cope, I don't think it'd hurt going. It definitely helps to talk to someone about your problems.. Even if they can't come up with a solution for you, talking about it may lessen the stress you're facing.

I'd say just try it out! (-:

• Agree Agree x 2
    • Like Like x 1
    • Cheers Cheers x 1
    • Useful Useful x 1
  4. StylZ

StylZ Weird Administrator Staff Member Admin Moderator

Ratings:
    +1,703 / 3 / -2
    MC Player:
    StylZ
    I've gone counseling once because of stress 2 years ago but it end up it is not me getting counseled, I counseling my counselor by listening to my counselor 's work rants. In the end, I overcome stress with support from few of my friend and myself not the counselor :'D

Anyways, it is better go for counseling if you got stressed out. Counseling might providing some useful advice that you can use to relieve your stress.

If you don't want counseling, go find someone you can trust and let your negative feeling out. You will feel better after let out of all negative thought you kept inside your mind.

Last edited: 27 Jul 2016
    • Like Like x 3
    • Agree Agree x 1
  5. lengrith

lengrith Initiate Poster - B1

Ratings:
    +188 / 0 / -1
    MC Player:
    lengrith
    It's a hit and miss. Sometimes you get a bad counsellor like stylz got, or you get a good one who can understand. My advice is to approach your teacher or head of subject for advice on who is good. Sometimes they may even be willing to listen and help without going to a counsellor

• Useful Useful x 1
  6. juggernauts

juggernauts マゾー先輩 Donor Forum Regular

Ratings:
    +2,187 / 3 / -4
    MC Player:
    Gigayott
    Well, I'll be serious this time, if you can't find a counsellor, you can always talk to yourself, I mean, it works for me, it somehow works to just say whatever is on your mind out loud even though you know no ones is listening. Just rant out loud, when you're alone of course. Unless it's really weird for you. Building up feelings and emotions inside is definitely NOT recommended. If you can't find anyone to talk to and if talking to yourself doesn't work, just blow of some steam by, I dunno, break a stick or something, punch your bed, tear some paper. You ain't gonna hurt nobody.

• Like Like x 2
  7. Poke

Poke Staff Member Helper

Ratings:
    +174 / 0 / -1
    MC Player:
    Poke
    Whilst I am by no means certified to be a counselor, I can offer you some advice on temporary stress relief and if practiced well enough, control over your own nervous energy. This method of relaxation is something I learned from my precision shooting background.

Simplified Autogenic Relaxation(You may wanna google if you're interested in this form of mental training):

Take a few breathes before you start, also, you might want to sit in a comfortable position.To start relaxing, clench your left hand, slowly increasing pressure as you breathe in slowly and deeply.

When you reach the point where you are gripping with your full strength, your lungs should be full as well. Hold this tension for about 2-3 seconds and concentrate on how it feels like to be tense.

Then, slowly release this pressure and breathe out at the same time. Breathe out until you feel comfortable, don't force the air out of your lungs, and relax your left grip totally. Hold this for about 2-3 seconds again and concentrate on how it feels like to be relaxed, then start breathing at your own comfort for a while and then repeat this entire process with your major muscle groups in your arms.

Slowly work your way from the left side to the right side of your body, or vice-versa(If you do it right to left, always do from right to left, if you do from left to right, always do from left to right). For your arms, you could bringing your fist towards your shoulder and try to reach your shoulder to work that muscle group. Another one is where you sit down and put your hands on your knees and press down as hard as you can. Remember to breathe in sync to your increasing pressure and decreasing pressure accordingly, and focus on how it feels like to be extremely tense and extremely relaxed.

Relax every major muscle group in your body using this method. Most importantly, each time you do this you should do it in the same order, for example, from fist to arm to shoulders to legs and feet/ from left to right or vice-versa.

After much practice, the simple act of breathing in while clenching your fist, then relaxing and breathing out will anchor you into the present state of time and re-focus you.

Once you've practiced this method of focusing on the state of your body and becoming aware of how your body responds to your mental stress, you will be more capable at controlling your stress levels. The body and mind are linked together, change your posture, focus on your breathing, push your shoulders back, look up a little higher and stop staring at the ground.

P.S.
    Perhaps there are some things you cannot accomplish, but you can ALWAYS DO YOUR BEST. The world will see your efforts, and it will not go unrewarded.

When life holds you back, stresses you and pushes you to your limit, just think of it as life being a bow, while you're the arrow. One day when you've grown to handle the stress, you will be released. Imagine how far you could fly then, with all the stress that's been pent up.

So don't worry too much, focus on the present, do what you can in the moment, and the rest will settle itself.

"In life we do things. Some we wish we had never done. some we wish we could re-play a million times in our heads. But they all make us who we are, and in the end they shape every detail about us. If we were to reverse any of them we wouldn't be the person we are, so just live, make mistakes, have wonderful memories, but never ever second guess who you are, where you have been, and most importantly where it is you're going."

Last edited: 26 Jul 2016
    • Like Like x 5
    • Win Win x 1
  8. Krakken

Krakken Cowministrator Staff Member Admin Moderator Forum Regular

Ratings:
    +980 / 0 / -4
    MC Player:
    krakken858
    Stress at this part of your life is inevitable, especially when you have impending national exams coming up. However, you really do have to learn to embrace these because they can really deter you from living a normal and happy lifestyle.

I am a student taking the O levels this year and I have to say I should really stop playing Minecraft(hehe). Being one who takes on Triple Science Double Maths and Higher Chinese, I have to say I really do have alot of subjects to work on, and stress is inevitable. However I do believe that nothing will work out for you if you allow stress to overwhelm your mental well-being. It's going to eat you up and before you know it, your exams are over and you realize you screwed up.

Of course, no one wants that to happen. Hence you should really stop stress from getting on top of you and maintain a healthy mindset to overcome daily challenges. Stress is beneficial when it is distributed proportionately, it allows one to be aware of your surroundings and you know what you are accomplishing. However too much stress will be bad as it will make you a very anxious and easily ticked off person, which does not help in your learning and studies.

Enough of these, you said that you wanted to try counseling. I don't know if you have tried it after seeing the replies from our fellow forum users, but in my opinion, I think counseling is a good choice, but it's not a choice I will choose. Every school has it's own counselor, and it's really up to whether you are lucky enough to meet a really dedicated counselor who is there for you to listen to your troubles and give constructive feedback.

Why I say it's not a choice I will take is because, counseling requires you to put forth your time once again, to attend counseling sessions, which usually takes about 2-3 hours if the counselor has lots to say. This I believe, is actually a waste of time as I could have easily used these 2-3 hours to study and revise on the topics which I am not confident about.

I'm not saying you should not go for counseling, it's a good choice if you are really hopeless and don't know what to do to counter your stress. But like what @Poke has illustrated, there are many ways to destress yourself and free yourself from all the tensions, which I believe we can easily achieve. Put your mind at ease, and everything will flow smoothly.

I am unsure whether you are Express as well and taking Olvls with me, but if you are I wish you good luck and all the best! I believe I am able to help you in your subjects as well, so please feel free to contact me and I will try my very best to assist you. :)

• Like Like x 1
    • Cheers Cheers x 1
  9. Slicendicez

Slicendicez DJ Slice Forum Regular

Ratings:
    +293 / 0 / -0
    MC Player:
    Slicendicez
    dont forget you have all of the friendly and helpful xeal players to talk to about the things you wanna let out the most. im sure there will be many people on xeal that can help you out. Stay stronk ninteen

10. Skaijie

Skaijie Adept Poster - A3

Ratings:
    +165 / 0 / -2
    MC Player:
    Skaijie
    Hello?

I need more than counselling.

I need a psychologist.

11. jjpang

jjpang Adept Poster - A2

Ratings: