INFO For The Beginners: Read Here!

Discussion in 'Guides' started by Tenelia, 7 Apr 2014.

1. Tenelia

Tenelia Master Poster

Ratings:
    +636 / 2 / -9
    MC Player:
    Tenelia
    Introduction

I've been noticing many beginners taking up Minecraft in our server, and instead of having to burn time explaining a thousand things to all of them, I thought... "Why not make a dedicated thread that they can refer to?"

So here's the thread! I wrote this for the beginner to Xeal Minecraft. Feel free to pm me on stuff to add on, so we won't clog up this thread like mad.

My reference list:

http://minecraft.gamepedia.com/
    http://www.youtube.com/
    http://www.google.com/

-------------------------------------------------------------------------

Starting out in Xeal

There are two ways you got onto our server. First, a friend referred you to us. If that's so, then congratulations! You have a guide to show you the ropes, teach you what to do and what not to do. Second, you found us. Well, no worries since we have staff and various players who would be more than willing to show you around. You'll be fine! Regardless of how you found us, the point of this thread is that there are still things unique to Xeal and Minecraft that you can easily miss out.

As with any other multiplayer private server out there, the first thing you must do now is to read the rules.
    Yes, read it now: http://xealgaming.net/pages/rules/

After you have read the rules, I bet you're wondering where the heck you were when you spawned and went through the registration process. You're in The Hub, a place where you can't hurt or destroy anything because it isn't yours. In The Hub, take your time to explore the world around you. You will be coming back to this place from time to time. Poke at things, step on pressure plates, don't be afraid to die in The Hub. Go ahead, drown in the AFK Zone's waters if you wish. Just explore until you are satisfied.

During your first few minutes of exploration, you may notice the chat seems to be going crazy with everyone speaking all at once. Next, you will notice that everyone has either Novice, Initiate, Adept, Skilled, Expert, Legend, Donor, Donor+, Helper, Builder, or Moderator just before their name.
    View attachment 876
    Those are Ranks. Those titles are divided between Player and Staff ranks. At this point in time, you only need to know that playing on Xeal for 10 hours will allow you to apply for the rank of Initiate. Being an initiate simply means that you now know enough of the game and server to explore the world on your own without giving up and dying repeatedly from mismanagement of hunger.

To learn more about player rank application, check out this thread: http://xealgaming.net/threads/read-before-applying-or-instant-deny.256/

Now you may be wondering: What's this voting thing that the server keeps spamming me about? Well, for people new to private servers in multiplayer games, Xeal is a private server founded and run by Wuggle. Most private servers run on two models:
    1. Free to play
    2. Pay to play
    Being a pay-to-play private server requires royalty fees paid to the game studio, assuming they don't issue you a lawyer's letter. With this in mind, an overwhelming majority of private servers are free to play. However, this means that the server relies on various sources of income to survive. Some private servers use paid advertisements, but what Xeal does is to use a donation model. If you like Xeal, donate. It doesn't have to be a huge sum, a couple of dollars from everyone every month will keep the server hardware alive and thriving.

Voting is important because it gets Xeal more players. Imagine a scenario where Xeal can host 499 players, but we have less than 10 players on our server. It would be no different from hosting a small LAN party with friends. With so little players on the server, it will become a single-player experience 95% of the time. So while you have your fun on Xeal, set aside a few dollars every week and save up to donate to Xeal. Take just 10 minutes everyday, to access the voting page to vote for Xeal.

You make a huge difference in determining the kind of experience you get on a private server, so don't ever give up voting and donating.

To find all the links for voting, go here: http://xealgaming.net/pages/vote/

By the way, if you're playing on a cracked version of Minecraft, some of the voting sites may not register your vote.
    -----------------------------------------------------------------------

Using Basic Server Commands

Now, you need to learn how to use the server commands properly beyond just login and register. As a Novice, there are many commands available to you on Xeal that vastly improves the quality of your life as a beginner on Minecraft. The very first thing that you must do is to check out the All Commands List by the founder here: http://xealgaming.net/threads/all-commands-list.675/

Executing any command in game requires you to begin the command with a backslash. For example, if I wanted to set a new warp point for myself, it would look like this:

/sethome AnySingleWordHereOfYourChoice

Then, the server will respond with an acknowledgement or a denial of my command. That is basically how you use server commands. The critical commands that you must be familiar with are listed in priority as follows:
    1. /helpop
    2. /sethome
    3. /home
    4. /delhome
    5. /bal
    6. /kit
    7. /sell
    8. /jobs
    9. /pay
    10. /msg
    11. /tpa
    12. /tpahere
    13. /go shop
    14. /warp
    15. /stats
    16. /plotme
    17. /tptoggle
    18. /go hub

Some commands require longer inputs to work. That brings me to my next point: Using the in-game /help function. This isn't meant to be a comprehensive manual on Xeal's Minecraft experience, so I will teach you how to be independent.

Go on.

Type /Help in the chat and explore the commands yourself. Alternatively, any command followed by a question mark will tell the server to show you what other available secondary commands are linked to it and so on.

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Jobs and Survival

After leaving The Hub, you may be staring at some of the houses that other players have, and wondering how long it would take for you to reach that point of luxury. Don't worry. Xeal gamers are generally nice, and they will take time to give you some food or items to start you on your way. My advice for you is this: Don't feel pressured in Minecraft. Minecraft is one of those rare games that allow you to play however you wish.

Before you wander too far away from The Hub, my suggestion is for you to choose a job first. Jobs help you to earn money very quickly and also ensure that you will always have sufficient money to buy food using the /kit command. Read the descriptions carefully, and explore how each job earns you money and experience points (exp). Exp in this game is used for enchanting books and items, so be aware that certain actions can cause you to lose exp. For example, as a miner I cannot place ore blocks down as I lose exp from doing so. So take your time to look through the jobs available and choose any three jobs.

There are three points to note in choosing jobs:
    1. Farming potatoes and carrots earns you thousands of dollars very very quickly with minimal risk and equipment needed. You only need a bucket, hoe, lots of land, and the potato/carrots that you get from /kit. From that point on, every harvest can be used to make increasingly more food and sow more plots. This is taking into account that the act of manually breaking crops and selling those same crops earn you money! Eventually, you get to a point where you can venture into automated meat farms.
    2. Mining and digging are the slowest in their rate of earning money. As a miner and a digger, I have broken about 54k blocks and broken 399 tools. I still have less than $100k in my balance. I spend time fending off monsters, and spend too much money on repairing tools. Much of my time is also spent chopping trees for charcoal and wood to make torches, plowing through crop fields so that I have food to feed myself and not starve. The good thing is that I earn exp really really quickly as a miner and digger. I can enchant at least 4 books within the span of 2 hours. You find resources like redstone, lapis lazuli, diamonds, and emeralds very quickly. To earn money quickly, I highly encourage being a Ranger as well.
    3. Enchanter, Brewer, Blacksmith, Ranger, Fisherman are all unique jobs that offer you a very different style of play. Take time to think about what you might enjoy doing, so there is no rush for you to choose a job!

Last edited: 22 Oct 2014
    • Like Like x 12
    • Informative Informative x 4
    • Cheers Cheers x 1
    • Useful Useful x 1
  2. Tenelia

Tenelia Master Poster

Ratings:
    +636 / 2 / -9
    MC Player:
    Tenelia
    Land, Housing, and Factions

Here's a new command for you: /f map

Once you have used that command you will realize that much of the land around you is owned by the server or other factions.
    View attachment 873
    You cannot modify any blocks owned by another entity. Before you feel pressured into joining any faction, stop.

Take a deep breath.

Don't be pressured into doing anything first. Keep a cool head, explore. Enjoy the game.
    View attachment 874
    Now, when you have made sure you got enough food (i.e. free bread from The Hub), you can set off into the wilderness. Use /f map to get your bearings. Notice that whenever you walk in and out of different territories, the chat will respond with a server update. If you have left a faction's territory to enter unowned territory, the chat will respond with "~wilderness". Step back into a faction's territory again, and it will respond with the faction message. Here's how it looks like:

View attachment 872

Now, press the F3 button. Lost in the middle of nowhere with floating houses? No worries. See the x, y, and z coordinates? That is your real-time compass. Using that with /f map will tell you where you are.
    View attachment 875
    Remember this:
    • An increase in Y shows how high up you are.
    • An increase in X shows movement to the East.
    • An increase in Z shows movement to the South.
    • In the X and Z coordinates, the "c:" numbers tell you which chunk number you are in, as well as the 16x16 chunk number within it.

Along the way, chop down any tree that isn't in a faction's territory, and stock up on wood. If possible, make some sticks using the crafting table in your character screen. As soon as night falls, pray that someone /vote day. If you find yourself in the pitch blackness of night, remember that you can always use /go hub to save yourself from the monsters swarming towards you. Pay attention to the sounds that you hear, and don't waste all the torches that you have. If you use up all of your torches on your first night, chances are that you won't survive your second night!

Remember this: Monsters spawn on a light level of lower than 8. A torch gives off a light level of 14. Every block away from the torch means a 1 level drop in light level. 8 Torches should be more than enough to prevent monsters from spawning around the corner.

When the night finally ends, you now understand the importance of having a good house. On your second day, find a place where you can reasonably carve out a place for yourself, building anything that suits your fancy. Treehouse, cave, hole-in-the-ground, anything.

To learn more about construction: http://minecraft.gamepedia.com/Tutorials/Construction
    To learn more about housing: http://minecraft.gamepedia.com/Tutorials/Shelters
    For a list of shelter types: http://minecraft.gamepedia.com/Tutorials/Shelter_types

Now, you got yourself a house. You can hear the monsters growling around outside your tiny house. Being alone makes Minecraft very very difficult indeed. You now understand the power of being in a faction. It is time for you to check out the faction recruitment section of this forum: http://xealgaming.net/forums/factions-recruitment.60/

If you need a faction, use the command: /f

Whichever faction takes you in, you can now better appreciate the gifts and companionship that they offer you. So wherever you might go, do remember to show some kindness to newbies who just joined the server. Starting out alone in Minecraft is exactly that: Huddling in a tiny house shrouded by the darkness and praying for the kindness of strangers.

Be kind. Be compassionate. Be a good guy gamer.

--------------------------------------

The Nether and The End

So you made it this far. Starting out well on Xeal Minecraft just requires you to:
    1. Read the Rules
    2. Read the All Commands List
    3. Read the Minecraft Wiki
    The rest is just about getting onto the server and making friends with everyone. Now that you have your faction and buddies around you, smacking around a few creepers and skeletons don't seem like much anymore. You have automatic meat and crop farms that stock many chests full. Heck, you even hunted down an Enderman for fun! Going into the Nether or The End probably seems like a good idea.

No, not yet. There's still more. Have you mastered pillar jumping? Learned how to build blocks in the air holding the shift key?
    1. http://minecraft.gamepedia.com/Tutorials/Things_not_to_do
    2. http://minecraft.gamepedia.com/Tutorials/Tips_and_tricks
    3. http://minecraft.gamepedia.com/Tutorials/Hunger_management
    4. http://minecraft.gamepedia.com/Tutorials/Navigation
    Bear in mind that going into the Nether comes with high risks. Whatever you lose there is gone. If you get killed there by another player, you lose your inventory. Two things to consider before venturing into the Nether:
    1. Are you willing to lose what you carry?
    2. Can you replace what you carry?
    If your answer is "No" to any of the above, don't go into the Nether. Don't lose what you can't afford to lose. Every time I see someone die and beg for help, I see a person who has made a poor choice. If you can't survive wandering alone in the Overworld yet, don't push your luck in the Nether. Don't bring your "friends" there either. Only bring in a trusted group that has survived with you in the Overworld. No moderator wants to be the unfortunate mediator in the aftermath.

So how do you know if you are ready for the Nether? I challenge you to take up the Nomadic Experience. Don't use any warps or server commands. Just try it. Once you have survived for a few cycles of day and night, you will then know if you are ready to go further. Things will be even more difficult playing on Xeal because you can't use a bed to skip the night cycle. If you find yourself stuck, the Minecraft Wiki and Youtube will be your best help.

I wish you good luck.

--------------------------------------

Builder to the Bone

What's that? You said adventuring is boring to you? That's not how you want to play? You want to build?

Well, then you are in the right guide. I am challenging myself to build a replica of a Dwarven fortress. So far, I have a little help from my buddies, but it's mostly been me and my stone pickaxe chipping away alone. While I don't know what you have in mind, I can assure you that building in Minecraft goes way beyond towering automatic farms. Did you know that someone has even built a mini computer in Minecraft? Another guy built a calculator in the game as well. Rest assured that Youtube will show you that you are not alone.

Let me show you a few channels, where other like-minded builders like us have done:
    1. Dwarven Stronghold
    2. Dwarven City Timelapse Part 1
    3. Dwarven City
    4. The Land of Akane
    5. Laenadur: City of Mages
    6. Elven Port 2.0
    Although all of these projects were completed in Creative Mode, you have to understand this: Xeal currently offers Adepts and above the privilege to fly. The ability to fly is one of the most important features of building tall towering structures quickly and safely. Not only that, we also have the ability to rapidly obtain tools and materials without much fuss.

Heck, I used a stone pickaxe and stone shovel to clear out the current plot of land that I am using.

If you truly have a passion for building, don't hold yourself back! Your contribution to Xeal will be noticed and greatly valued!

Last edited: 19 May 2014
    • Like Like x 9
    • Friendly Friendly x 1
    • Useful Useful x 1
  3. John

John Professional sleeper Donor Forum Regular

Ratings:
    +2,295 / 4 / -16
    MC Player:
    DefektIV
    Thanks man! This is really helpful for all the recruits next time!

• Friendly Friendly x 1
  4. YuSiangChong

YuSiangChong Somebody That You Used To Know :D Donor Forum Regular

Ratings:
    +427 / 11 / -40
    MC Player:
    ChongFelt
    this is going to help out a lot to the new players! thumbs up

• Friendly Friendly x 2
  5. Goldlightking

Goldlightking The Retired (Retarded) Helper :^) Donor Forum Regular

Ratings:
    +122 / 0 / -0
    MC Player:
    Goldlightking
    I hope the newcomers don't waste your effort! They should read and understand these helpful tips when playing in Xeal!:) (Phrased it wrongly so I edited it)

Last edited: 7 Apr 2014
    • Optimistic Optimistic x 1
  6. Tenelia

Tenelia Master Poster

Ratings:
    +636 / 2 / -9
    MC Player:
    Tenelia
    Thanks guys! I've been around my fair share of games, and felt that the server needed this! There's too much time spent figuring out how things work. I will update this thread from time to time when something new occurs to me. (:

• Like Like x 5
    • Creative Creative x 1
  7. MCAaron19

MCAaron19 Donor

Ratings:
    +46 / 0 / -0
    MC Player:
    MCAaron19
    This is a awesome guide:) hope the beginners will look at it:)

• Agree Agree x 2
    • Like Like x 1
  8. FireBoltz8

FireBoltz8 Adept Poster - A2

Ratings:
    +26 / 1 / -0
    MC Player:
    FireBoltz8
    This is a very good thread. I think it really helps the beginner alot. Nice job bro. :)

• Like Like x 2
    • Friendly Friendly x 2
    • Agree Agree x 1
  9. durianhead

durianhead Forum Regular

Ratings:
    +701 / 1 / -8
    MC Player:
    durianhead
    Thanks a lot, now I'm wondering if anyone could come out with a guide on making the leap from MCPE to MC on PC, especially a lot of the new stuff.... But still thumbzz up! :D

• Like Like x 1
    • Friendly Friendly x 1
  10. Tenelia

Tenelia Master Poster

Ratings:
    +636 / 2 / -9
    MC Player:
    Tenelia
    Use the MineCraft Wiki! ;)

• Funny Funny x 1
    • Useful Useful x 1
  11. Renee Ong

Renee Ong [nerfmine12345] Sponsor+ Forum Regular

Ratings:
    +232 / 1 / -15
    MC Player:
    nerfmine12345
    This.is.awesome!!!!

• Agree Agree x 2
    • Like Like x 1
  12. ChiefG

ChiefG le MEDIC!! Donor

Ratings:
    +397 / 1 / -1
    MC Player:
    Gorchief
    Cool, useful giude for beginners of Minecraft, i like it

• Friendly Friendly x 1
  13. Termwood

Termwood Ex-Helper-Member Forum Regular

Ratings:
    +63 / 2 / -1
    MC Player:
    Termwood
    hope there were adviser staff for you. thumb up

• Like Like x 2
  14. Termwood

Ratings:
    +63 / 2 / -1
    MC Player:
    Termwood
    Erm, can you stick this post, wug? And tag it next to stats above, so everyone can see it.
    this is very imformative.

15. Wuggle

Wuggle Systems Admin Staff Member Founder Admin Moderator

Ratings:
    +2,916 / 0 / -2
    MC Player:
    Wuggle
    It already sticky before you even noticed it, but theres no space on the navbar for this post :(

16. Termwood

Ratings:
    +63 / 2 / -1
    MC Player:
    Termwood
    maybe you need to edit some commands. l'm so confused...:confused:

17. Termwood

Ratings:
    +63 / 2 / -1
    MC Player:
    Termwood
    can l apply for skilled when l'm a staff?

18. Wuggle

Wuggle Systems Admin Staff Member Founder Admin Moderator

Ratings:
    +2,916 / 0 / -2
    MC Player:
    Wuggle
    No.

19. Tenelia

Tenelia Master Poster

Ratings:
    +636 / 2 / -9
    MC Player:
    Tenelia
    Oh Free Anvils and Enchantments!

Alright, so I've realized that way too many people don't explore The Hub. This section of the guide is to tell people where to find the free enchantment table and anvils in The Hub.

See, when you've just started, it's rather unlikely that you can find enough materials to make anvils or even libraries and enchantment tables. Fear not. Xeal has gotten you covered!

If you ever need a free enchantment table, just use the /go hub command. Once you arrive, turn right to see the giant leafy gate.
    View attachment 929
    This gate leads you into the Enderman farm and warzone, where you can pvp AND also fight the Enderdragon.

View attachment 928
    As soon as you enter the portal, you will see this to your right. It has free furnaces and chests. If you're lucky, someone might even leave a freebie for you! My suggestion for enchanting is to always bring books along. You should make it a habit to enchant a book as soon as you are level 30. Never waste your levels.

View attachment 927
    In the center of the room is the Enderman Farm, where you can beat an Enderman to death with a torch. Their cries of pain are oh-so-satisfying! The farm is split into two zones. This one here, causes Endermen to fall until they are just barely alive. The other zone behind me causes Endermen to fall to their deaths. If you are patient, you can get plenty of Endermen heads here. The only notable loot is the Ender Pearl.

View attachment 930
    Head for the only other path into the room. It is a long long walk, so sprint to the end! You will see this sign. Do not head up into the warzone. Head straight into the narrow gap, which leads into the resting area. If you are not suspicious already, I suspect that this area is The End.

View attachment 931
    Once you are inside, feel free to use all the anvils placed here! Keep in mind that many things in the game require an anvil to work. If you are trying to use a nametag, you must name the nametag at the anvil. If you are trying to use an enchantment book to enchant an item, you must use them at the anvil. Also, the order in which you place your items matter even when you are repairing your enchanted items!

Last edited: 11 Apr 2014
  20. DanChChia

DanChChia Donor

Ratings:
    +8 / 0 / -0
    MC Player:
    DanChChia
    *INFORMATION OVERLOAD*

*fzzzt clunk*

• Funny Funny x 1