I Dislike My School... A Lot.

Discussion in 'School Related' started by GoodLuckCharlie, 23 Oct 2016.

1. GoodLuckCharlie

GoodLuckCharlie Forum Regular

Ratings:
    +347 / 4 / -1
    MC Player:
    RoyalCraft101
    Well, the title says it all: I really don't like my school.

When I was in sixth grade, I had a big argument with my parents which worsened our relationship. I wanted to go to an international school in Asia, but one of my parents disagreed. In the end, after a long, long fight, I got my way and they sent me to a school in Asia. The thing is, there are many different types of international schools, and I got into one that really doesn't fit my style. Right now, I'm at an awkward situation cuz my parents paid a lot to get me in that overpriced school, and I can't blatantly state that I hate my school. I'll list a few reasons for why I hate the school.

1. Grades!!! I personally think grades are somewhat important, but they should definitely just serve as a guideline to tell you where you are. In my school, everyone wants a GPA of 97% or above. People are constantly lying about their grade, boasting to their "friends" to discourage them from having better grades. The struggle is all about being better than everyone else, so you look special and you can get into your favorite college or university. It's super annoying when everyone's like "aww, I only got a 93 on my test. I guess I should just kill myself" when it was a hard test and I got a lower score. I honestly think I have a legitimate right to complain about this because I care about my GPA being about 95%, but I don't act like my life depends on it. I got an 80 on my math test? So what? There's so many tests left in the semester.

People are constantly complaining and badmouthing teachers who grade their tests harshly. Well, I also dislike harsh graders but the constant backstabbing and badmouthing is toxic to my ears. I'm tired of grades being the only significant topic in a conversation with my so called "friends". In fact, some people brag about their high grades openly, making everyone feel bad about themselves. The whole school is so competitive, we have issues talking to each other about our style of studying, or what academies we go to.

2. Unfairness. The excess amount of competition leads to unfairness. When the counselor writes college applications for each student, they focus all their compliments and positive feedback on a few students with the highest GPA because they have a better chance of getting in. Well, that's great, but what about the others? The teachers are just giving a minority of the students an advantage while letting the others fall.

Also, trying out for varsity teams is really unfair. Although I've gotten into teams, I sometimes see the people who haven't made it in, and they are really better than me. Since there are so many people trying out, teachers will just randomly say, "oh, you kinda look like you're good at this" or "I haven't been paying attention, but you look like you're better than the other guy before". The whole tryout is mostly about luck, and when the coaches are watching you play. If he watches you while he's sleepy and tired, bad luck. People have issues when I ask them about where they go to practice these sports, since they don't want more competition from me.

I'm very tired of this toxic and competitive school. I haven't had a real conversation with someone in at least an year now, and I'm starting to feel really depressed and gloomy. While people don't hate or dislike me at all, I can't stand the constant complaints and insults to bad graders. The college application system is notorious for being corrupt, and so many people are just kissing up to the teachers for good grades. How should I deal with this? I feel like I'm gonna get depression or something.

• Cheers Cheers x 1
  2. juggernauts

juggernauts マゾー先輩 Donor Forum Regular

Ratings:
    +2,187 / 3 / -4
    MC Player:
    Gigayott
    Looks like most of us on the internet have some kind of problem huh.
    Point number 1, that's actually quite normal, it happens in alot of schools. People WILL boast about their scores. You're in an international school. There's a lot of different personalities to influence others ther boi. You also said overpriced right? That would also mean most of the students are rich people and as we all know, most rich people are complete assholes (because their rich and think they have the rights) so they'll deliberately do things to make others feel bad (just so happens this happened to me on Friday) the only thing anyone can do is to just ignore. It's annoying but... what else is there?
    Badmouthing Teachers? Uhh... isn't that supposed to be expected...? We all have at some point.

Point number 2, sadly, teachers are now doing this job just because they have to, to earn money. So most of the time, Teachers don't actually care about the students, they're only interested in their paycheck. The teachers have become tutors (they earn a lot more)
    I'll write a bit more later

3. StylZ

StylZ Weird Administrator Staff Member Admin Moderator

Ratings:
    +1,703 / 3 / -2
    MC Player:
    StylZ
    A school without any braggers are extinct this day. About the harsh grading teachers, I actually appreciate them mark my paper strictly and always finding error on my paper. My Business course and General Knowledge course teachers marks our paper very strictly, almost everyone failed the paper because of this. If we think from other perspective, they are actually helping us improve ourselves. We can write a much higher quality exam answer and learn a lot from them.

The GPA competition among the schools might be the main cause of these problems. School nowadays always compete with other school just to became #1 in the school ranking list. Such competition can help school using any sorts of way to improve their school grade but might neglecting other student as a trade off.
    If the school only focused on high GPA student or so-called "Top Students", it only makes other student felt they are not worthy and those student might getting neglected while the teachers focusing on these "Top Students". People come to school for study or learn some skills not to being judged by grade or became a tool in improving school ranking.
    It would be a much better solution if the school focus less on the "Top Student" since they are capable in maintaining and improve their grade. Also, instead off wasting sh*t lots of time in helping these "Top Student" why don't they just spend time in finding ways to help normal student or weak student in improving their grades. Helping them makes them feel worthy and by helping them improve their grade, you are giving them a better future. This would be much better than letting their grade rot and neglecting them then makes them fail their exam and waste their life and time.

Last edited: 23 Oct 2016
  4. GoodLuckCharlie

GoodLuckCharlie Forum Regular

Ratings:
    +347 / 4 / -1
    MC Player:
    RoyalCraft101
    I'm not unhappy about the braggers, I'm unhappy about how everyone just accepts it as normal and does it themselves. People are always talking about grades and nothing else. I'd like to talk to some friends about life and fun, not just academics. It's really hard to have meaningful conversations. Also, I get why the teachers are acting this way, I just don't like it... I was just complaining about how everyone has just their grades in their brains, not compassion or kindness to others.

5. BSFirefighter

BSFirefighter The American Moderator Staff Member Moderator

Ratings:
    +737 / 0 / -0
    MC Player:
    BSFDFirefighter
    I'd tell you how I feel but I do not have any experience except from Xeal on the Asian educational curriculum, but let me share my side of things, #1 being I dislike school too, here's the story (Rant inbound):

During my elementary schooling, I was in a Catholic school, during this time I got along with all my teachers, and I LOVED school, then my final year came along, 5th grade. I thought to myself that this year would be a breeze and be fun at the same time, I was wrong, my teacher hated me and that relationship was mutual, she would treat me different than some of the kids, one day we were doing a slightly important project that involved using computers. "Ok, no big deal" I thought to myself, then, my teacher and our school tech teacher read over my project and started laughing at me, they basically called me "stupid". I got so upset that I began to cry, even though I knew that I did better than that, they didn't believe so, I was crying for a good 2-4 minutes give or take until one of my friends brought me down to his moms room (the school science teacher) and I went to work on the project, I had a good amount of friends and even another person whom I didn't get along with that well (no clue why) come down and ask if I was ok, and even agreed that the teachers were wrong to do that.

After that incident, my morale was low, so was my confidence, but I persevered and did the best I could, the teachers didn't think I would pass but I remember that graduation day in the church, I went up and shook the priests hand, took the certificate and shook my teachers hand, I specifically remember her saying "You did it", that's what gave me a little bit more confidence, but that didn't stop me from trying exponentially harder in school. When I got into 6th grade however, I started really slacking, my grades were horrible, didn't like most of my teachers, and it wasn't the best environment, but I still persevered and did the best I could for all my years in Middle School, then began High School, I was put in a program where there are less students and more teachers (4 teachers in one room) for more one-on-one attention, I fell asleep EVERY day at the beginning of the year, then I realized one day that I would fail. I started working extremely hard from that day forward, still slacking a little, I would take 20 minute classroom assignments and get them done in 10 minutes tops, my Global History teacher said that I was the best turn-around student they had (meaning I went from basically nothing to one of the best), I went from being the quiet person to the most active person in the class, I passed almost every final exam. and that's what boosted my confidence ever since 6th grade. (rant over)

Now for my thought in your situation:

#1: As Stylz said, a school without braggers is extinct nowadays, that is totally correct, no matter what school, university, college, or job you go to or get, there will always be someone that will brag about their accomplishments/achievements. My suggestion is to completely stay out of it, and try to avoid any bragger or competitive person as possible.

#2 Harshly grading teachers: As you stated above, your teachers grade harshly, but that's their job, some are lenient, some are not, but it depends on what subject field they teach, humanities courses (math, language, science, etc.) will be graded harsher than extra-curricular classes will be, but that's because what you learn in humanities is what will greatly affect your life whenever you're older, take math for example, you don't REALLY need to know the pythagorean theorem, the quadratic formula, or mainly any Trig or Calc, but a good amount of stuff you learn, such as algebra, fractions, functions, etc. will greatly help you when you look for a job.

#3 Unfairness: I believe, no matter what, it will always be like that, the smarter kids will always be favorited by teachers/counselors, you just have to work around it and try better.