New To Skyblock? Here Are Some Tips And Tricks That Might Help.

Discussion in 'Guides' started by douyabian, 22 Mar 2016.

Tags:
  1. douyabian

douyabian Initiate Poster - B2

Ratings:
    +120 / 0 / -0
    MC Player:
    douyabian
    Hey all, as you may know, I've invested most of my time on Xeal's Skyblock server. I've noticed that a number of players are afraid to start playing it because they may have absolutely no idea what to do on it, here are some tips and tricks that I found useful/helpful that may help you enjoy the whole Skyblocking experience a little more!

First off, a shoutout to guides by @x3Randomise
    These guides are amazing to get you started and how to carry on with the challenges, please do give them a read. However, as an avid skyblock player, a skyblock to me isn't just about getting points and simply completing challenges, there are also elements of aesthetics and planning involved. At the same time, I believe in functional builds, that means to say a build should have both looks and function to it and not simply one or the other. Especially in Skyblock, where resource farming is of utmost importance, functionality should not be sacrificed for the sake of asthetics.

With regards to building, a guide by @Xardnud titled Building Guide: Basic Tips and Tricks (Clickable Link) covers the foundation of building. This guide could serve as an addon to it, providing details on the blocks available on skyblock and how to get them.

Stones, stones, stones
    As you might have noticed, some attachments on @x3Randomise's threads can not be viewed. For the sake of current and future players, I'll go through some generators that may be of help to you.
    1. First off, basic types of stones that can be generated. If you do not know, when a SOURCE lava block touches a water block (either source or flowing), it will turn the lava into obsidian. However, if a FLOWING lava block touches a water block (either source or flowing), it will turn that flowing block into cobblestone (if it touches at the sides) or stone (if it touches from the top), this is very important information.

The first generator an average Skyblock player would use would be of this design:[​IMG]

Water flows into that deeper block so that the source blocks are never touching anything. Lava would flow and touch that flowing water source to create cobblestone.

2. Alternatively, a design I prefer to use is this:
      [​IMG]

The water goes on the Gold block and the lava goes on the Iron block, this effectively creates 2 sources of cobblestones you can mine with just 1 water and 1 lava source.

3. The next tier of cobblestone generator you could use is the one @x3Randomise mentioned, this one:

The pistons push the cobblestones out so it goes away from the lava to prevent it from being burnt up.

4. However, if you could, I would recommend this build:

This build would generate Smooth Stone instead. If you must know, smooth stone mines faster than cobblestone, allowing you to have more stones per minute. In addition, if you ever get a silk touch pickaxe, you don't even need to smelt to get smooth stone (which can be helpful in late game).

5. Ultimately, you could go with the build I have which is this one:

I love it just because of it's looks.
    Recipes (Lifeline of Skyblock)

@x3Randomise has also another thread that contains Custom Recipes (Clickable Link) that can be found in Xeal. This was then further added on by @Goldlightking with Custom Recipes for 1.8 (Clickable Link). NOTE: You can also do /recipe (itemname) to get the recipe for the item in game (it would give you a visual if it is craftable and would tell you through system messages if it is processable (e.g. Cook Cobblestone to get Stone).
    For simplicity, I would just like to add some recipes (Blue for custom and Green for vanilla) that can increase your repetoire of materials you can build from.
    • Blaze Rods: Stick + Gunpowder
    • Stone Bricks: 4x Stones give you 4 stone bricks
    • Chiselled Stone Bricks: 2x Stone Brick Slabs give you 1 Chiselled Stone Brick
    • Bricks: Smelt clay to get Brick (non-placeable), 4 Bricks gives you 1 Brick Block
    • Netherbricks Blocks: Smelt Netherrack to get a Netherbrick (non-placeable) 4 Netherbricks gives you 1 Netherbrick Block
    • Snow Blocks (Unmelting): 4 Snowballs gives you 1 Snow Block
    Other Mechanics
    There are some other mechanics that are from vanilla minecraft that I noticed many people do not know about. Here are some of them that I know of that may help you in the pursuit of a beautiful Skyblock.
    • Hostile mobs spawn 24 blocks away from the player (spherical) on a block with light level 7 or lower (this is useful information if you decide to build a mob farm, just be sure that you can last hit them otherwise it would be considered as an automated one).
    • Passive mobs also requires a distance away (research shows 25-30 blocks away at least) on Grass blocks (make sure that it is large enough). It may take longer than hostile mobs, but they will definitely spawn if your biome is set right. Horses and Ocelots can also spawn according to the biome selected (you can change biome from your skyblock menu).
    • Zombie Villagers can be cured by throwing a Splash potion of Weakness and then feeding a golden apple (8 gold ingots around an apple). This process takes a while so beware of Hostile Wipes!
    • Witches can also be spawned and they drop Redstone and Glowstone.
    • WIther Skeletons are TBC, I've yet to try them on Xeal Skyblock.
    • Guardians are TBC, I've yet to try them on Xeal Skyblock.
    • You can grow huge mushrooms by putting mushrooms on mycelium/podzol and then bonemealing them.
    • 2x2 Spruce Saplings grow huge Spruce trees that just goes straight up without addition branches like 2x2 Jungle Saplings.
    • Changing your biome to Hell allows zombie pigmen to spawn on your island, as this is not affected by light level, you'll soon find yourself swarmed by pigmen, getting zombie flesh for steak and gold nuggets have never been easier.
    • Changing your biome to Mushroom Island will allow Mooshrooms to spawn on your mycelium patches (mushroom stew!)
    • /recipe, really, this is amazing, its just like NEI [Note: this can only be used by Initiate ranks and above (thanks @shadow1303!)]
    • Sheeps can be dyed to change their wool colors and breeding sheep mixes will result in a baby sheep of the resulting color to be born (Red and Yellow sheep makes Orange baby sheep, no need to waste extra dyes).
    • Fishing is a good way to get lilypads for aesthetics as well as enchanted books.
    • You can use shears on leaves to get leave blocks for decoration.
    And thats all for now! I may periodically update this thread should I find something new.
    If you guys have anything you think might be helpful to other players on Skyblock, feel free to post below! Thank you and keep on Skyblocking!​

Last edited: 24 Mar 2016
    • Informative Informative x 8
    • Useful Useful x 4
    • Like Like x 3
    • Win Win x 2
  2. NifflerSeeker

NifflerSeeker Manager Staff Member Admin Moderator

Ratings:
    +791 / 0 / -2
    MC Player:
    NifflerSeeker
    Comprehensive guide.

Thread pinned.

• Like Like x 3
  3. douyabian

Ratings:
    +120 / 0 / -0
    MC Player:
    douyabian
    Sweet! Thank you! :D

• Like Like x 1
  4. ULTIMATESLJ

ULTIMATESLJ F0Rum? & Banner Senpai Forum Regular

Ratings:
    +1,743 / 10 / -24
    MC Player:
    ULTIMATESLJ
    Wow.
    Great job d00d!

Though I'll most likely never touch sky lock again (skyfactory is wayyyyy better.)

5. StylZ

StylZ Weird Administrator Staff Member Admin Moderator

Ratings:
    +1,702 / 3 / -2
    MC Player:
    StylZ
    I must say, this guide's quality is great!

You can became second Tenelia.

• Funny Funny x 2
  6. Bernard

Bernard Zero Two's freakin' awesome ~

Ratings:
    +1,486 / 0 / -1
    MC Player:
    Bernard
    Can I be the third Tenelia ?
    -.-

7. ChimneySwift11

ChimneySwift11 alone Donor

Ratings:
    +2,398 / 2 / -14
    MC Player:
    ChimneySwift11
    OK can just pay $1b
    $1,000,000,000 has been received from [Initiate]Bernard, nice!
    Ok hi Tenelia III

• Funny Funny x 1
  8. Diana0523

Diana0523 Adept Poster - A2

Ratings:
    +709 / 0 / -0
    MC Player:
    duskey1
    No wonder douybian is a skyblock master

• Agree Agree x 1
    • Cheers Cheers x 1
  9. azreena

azreena Initiate Poster - B1

Ratings:
    +213 / 0 / -1
    MC Player:
    azreena
    This is a great guide! Congrats on getting it pinned, not long a player but you definitely know the tips & tricks to mastering skyblock. Hope you achieve your ultimate goals in SB, can't wait to see your island grow to the best!
    i.e better than Imranos & scoobysharky ><

• Win Win x 1
    • Cheers Cheers x 1
  10. douyabian

Ratings:
    +120 / 0 / -0
    MC Player:
    douyabian
    Thanks az hahahaha, we're all different types of players, for me I mainly mess around with the mechanics of minecraft, scoobys more like a builder and imranos just has his own style, so I wouldn't discount the glory of their islands as well hahahah

• Friendly Friendly x 2
    • Cheers Cheers x 1
  11. Xardnud

Xardnud See you space cowboy Retired Staff

Ratings:
    +871 / 6 / -9
    MC Player:
    Xardnud
    Beautifully done guide. Cheers!

• Cheers Cheers x 1
  12. shadow1303

shadow1303 Zucc. Forum Regular

Ratings:
    +857 / 2 / -4
    MC Player:
    Shadow1303
    Thats for initiate and higher

• Useful Useful x 1
  13. douyabian

Ratings:
    +120 / 0 / -0
    MC Player:
    douyabian
    ohh thanks! I've amended the post!

14. ChimneySwift11

ChimneySwift11 alone Donor

Ratings:
    +2,398 / 2 / -14
    MC Player:
    ChimneySwift11
    Some custom crafting recipes
    • Slime: Water Bucket + 4 vines
    • Saddle: 5 leather + 1 wool
    • Steak: 2 rotten flesh
    • Leather: 1 rotten flesh
    • Horse armor: 6 material of horse armor + 1 wool
    • Name Tag: 1 iron ingot + 1 string + 1 paper (Not sure abt this one though)

15. douyabian

Ratings:
    +120 / 0 / -0
    MC Player:
    douyabian
    yeahp, these were already included in the thread @x3Randomise
    the ones i added are those that aren't found on the forum